Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Udon Noodle Soup


Warning: this recipe makes a TON!!!  I pretty much cook every meal with the intentions of freezing half of it.  So, feel free to do the same, or cut the recipe in half!  Also, for most of my soups, I use vegan boullion cubes, instead of boxed vegetable stock.  I find that this cuts my cost down significantly, since good organic stock can cost up to $5 a carton.  I get my boullion at Whole Foods and I think it is about $4 for 8 cubes which equals about 8 cartons of stock... pretty good deal if you ask me!

1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
5 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1" hunk of ginger (1/2 grated and 1/2 thinly sliced)
3-4 large carrots, sliced
6-8oz sliced crimini or shiitake mushrooms
1-2 cups chopped kale
1/2 cup sliced green onion (reserve 1/4 cup for garnish)
2 Tbsp miso paste (dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water)
3 veggie boiullon cubes, mixed in 10-12 cups warm water
3/4 cup soy sauce
2 cups cubed tofu
splash of rice wine vinegar (or juice from 1/2 a lime)
udon noodles
freshly ground black pepper

In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat oil over medium heat.  Add in onions, garlic and ginger.  Cook until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.  Toss in carrots and mushrooms and cook another 3-5 minutes.  Add in all the liquids, tofu, and 1/4 cup green onions.  Simmer for at least 15-20 minutes.  The longer it simmers, the more the flavor develops.  At the last few minutes, add in desired amount of udon noodles and cook a couple minutes more.

Serve hot and top with green onions.


No comments:

Post a Comment