Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Chewy Ginger Cookies


I first made these cookies after I saw them on my friends blog... and they were incredible!  They were chewy, spicy, beautiful and festive!  I couldn't wait to make them this year, but I had an obstacle before me.  Our new dietary restrictions (which I will share when I have more time) requires that I adapt the recipe and I was nervous as to how they would turn out.  Well, I shared them with a group of ladies last night and they were a hit!  So without further adieu...

3/4 cup softened vegan butter (or regular)
1 cup sucanat (sugar)
1 egg
1/4 cup good unsulphured molasses
21/2 cups spelt flour 
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2+ cup organic (evaporated cane juice) sugar for rolling

Preheat oven to 325.

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add in the egg and molasses and mix until combined.

Sift together dry ingredients and slowly add into the butter mixture.  Mix until combined.

Scoop out a rounded teaspoons of dough and roll into balls.  Then gently roll the balls into the sugar and place on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 8-12 minutes (depending on your oven) just until the edges are firm.  Take caution to not over bake!!!  Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet for a few minutes to set up, then finish cooling on a wire rack.

yields 2-3 dozen perfectly chewy cookies!

1 comment:

  1. They were delicious! You are right about not overcooking :)

    ReplyDelete