Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Chili recipe #317



I call this chili recipe #317 because I never make chili the same way twice.  Chili, for me, is really more about using what ingredients I have on hand that day.  Oh, and, this can be made in a crock pot as well!

olive oil
I yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 box of POMI diced tomatoes *** (major disclaimer below)***
1 Tbsp, or more, of cumin
2 tsp coriander
dash ( or more if you can handle spice) of chipotle chili powder
s/p
1 can of black beans
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of garbanzo beans
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 large, or 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
veggie stock, just in case it gets too thick and needs to be thinned out
cilantro for garnish

Heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Drizzle some olive oil over small cubes of sweet potatoes and roast until they are tender, about 10 minutes.  Remove and set aside.

In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat oil over medium heat.  Add in onion and garlic and saute until translucent.  Add in tomatoes, and spices and stir together real well.  Next, pour in all the beans, bell peppers and sweet potatoes and simmer until it thickens.  You could be ready to eat this chili in a matter of 30 minutes, or keep it simmer on the stove until you are ready to eat.  Just check back often and add stock if it is thickening up too much.  Just be careful not to stir vigorously, too frequently... you don;t want mushy beans now, do you?

***ok, here is my disclaimer! I cannot recommend using canned tomatoes because of the amount of BPA that leaches from the lining into the food.  Please google this and research for yourself... I am not some crazy lady, just doing the best I can to keep my family healthy and limit our exposure to harmful toxins.  I am not going to go into all the finding here, but I will leave you with some links.  I would love to hear your thoughts and findings on this subject!***

Consumer Reports: BPA in canned foods

BPA free tomatoes

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy! I hope you are doing well :) I just wanted to let you know that I love your blog. I get together with a group of girls every Monday night and amongst the group we have vegetarians, gluten-intolerant girls, and lactose-intolerant girls. Last night I tried this Chili #317 recipe, and it was a huge hit with everyone! Really easy to make and even my carnivorous husband loved it! Thanks a lot and keep 'em coming!

    Sarah (Brum) Nelson :)

    ReplyDelete